Monday, October 13, 2008

Oasis in the desert


Got the bus for about 5 hours south from Lima to Ica. What a shithole. It was intimidating arriving after dark, so I was relieved to quickly get a taxi to Huacachina, a tiny little oasis resort in the desert set amid huge sand dunes. Stayed in a charming but delapidated old place that saw its heyday many years ago. In the morning, I took a trip in a dune buggy around the dunes with a nutcase behind the wheel who threw wild-eyed grins over his shoulder every time he threw the buggy over the edge of another dune to careen down the steep slope on the other side. I said "oh fuck" about 47 times. Amazing scenery, from total desert to fertile valley to mountains all in one eyeful. Then loco Joe pulled out the sandboards, upon which we lay and shot down the slopes of the dunes. Standing up didn´t work out so well.


Spare a thought for the poor fucker whose job it is to sweep up the sand around the hostal all day, while surrounded by huge sand dunes, in the middle of a desert. There´s an exercise in futility of ever there was one.


I really need to toughen up and stop letting these people charm money out of me. They´re just so good at it. Slowly getting used to how hectic this country is.


No comments: